Legal Driving Requirements for Snowmobilers in Ontario

To snowmobile legally in Ontario, you must have:

  • a valid driver’s license
  • proof of snowmobile ownership
  • registration complete with current validation tag
  • insurance
  • helmets

An Ontario Trail Permit is required to travel on Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (OFSC) Prescribed Trails. Many of the same rules of the road that apply to motor vehicle drivers are also the rules of the trails for snowmobile operators. Failure to comply with these rules carries similar penalties, including possible fines, loss of drivers license, criminal charges and/or imprisonment.

To ride recreationally on Prescribed Trails operated by the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs, the law requires that a valid Snowmobile Trail Permit be affixed to your windshield. The fine for failing to have a valid permit is $205.00, to a maximum of $1,000.00.

To buy a permit, go to

Please select Paudash Trail Blazers as your club to ensure your dollars go towards our club.  We rely on this to pay for all the costs maintaining and grooming our trails.

Drivers 16 and Over:

  • Residents of Ontario: Drivers 16 and over may operate a snowmobile on trails and highways where legally permitted. They must hold a valid Ontario driver’s licence, including a G1, G2, M1,or M2 , or a Snow Vehicle Operator’s Licence. Any one who has lost their Ontario Driver’s licence for whatever reason cannot operate a snowmobile on trails or on highways where legally permitted.
  • Non-Residents of Ontario: To drive a snowmobile in Ontario, the residents of another province, state or country must have in their possession a valid driver’s license, issued by the particular jurisdiction, which allows them to operate a MSV.

Drivers Under 16:

  • If you are between the age of 12 and 15 and hold a Snow Vehicle Operator’s Licence, you may operate a snowmobile on OFSC prescribed trails.
  • It is illegal for a person under 16 to drive on or drive across any road.

If you require additional information please check out: under the Motorized Snow Vehicle Act.